- Do I need a visa to enter Uganda?
You are required to purchase a tourist visa to enter Uganda .tourist visas can be bought in advance in one of the Ugandan Embassies abroad. see contacts for Uganda Embassies or simply purchase upon arrival at Entebbe International Airport or at any overland boarder .photos are not required and a Ugandan visa costs $50 per person for up to 90 day stay in Uganda. A single visa for the E.A.C costs $100 that is when you are visiting any other East African country apart from Uganda`
- How do I apply for a vias on line?
For persons intending to travel to Uganda for Tourism,medical reasons,holiday,business ,you are required to apply and obtain a visa on line.Applications can be filled at the following link.https://visas.immigration.go.ug/.The decision taken on the application will be sent electronically through the Email provided by the applicant ,once approved once approved an application letter will be sent as an attachment to the email provided .print it out and present it out together with a valid passport or travel document at the port of entry or Airport .
Information about documents required in the online visa application can be found on this link .https//visas.imigration.go.ug/#/help/visa .some of the documents require for a tourist visa entry include: passport copy (biodatapage) recent passport size photos, vaccination certificate (yellow fever) and visa fees and $50 per person.an East African tourist visa (multiple entry ) to Uganda,Kenya,Rwanda can also be obtained the same way online at $100 per person.
- Are vaccinations needed for entry in Uganda
Every person travelling to Uganda is required to have a vaccination for purposes of safety .this was a result of an outbreak of yellow fever some years ago but Uganda is free from yellow fever .it is mandatory that you present a yellow fever vaccination card upon arrival at the Airport.
- Am I likely to fall sick in Uganda?
You are unlikely to fall sick while you are in Uganda but do take all recommended preventive measures .if you are to take any medication ,please bring it with you .Take your malaria medication as directed by before,during and possibly after your visit to Uganda(depending on the malaria prophylactic you take)
Although HIV/AIDS infection rates are lower than any other African countries, the prevalence of HIV/AIDS is certainly higher than in most western cities.therefore play safe ,please take your sexual health very seriously.
- Is Uganda a safe country for tourists?
Uganda is a very safe country to visit. Although Uganda has lived through a turbulent history ,of wars and insecurity.the country is safe ,stable and welcoming. Ugandans hospitable nature is legendary .you will be warmly welcomed while you go by the friendly smiles from the country’s residents .The most popular national parks are situated in the western and southern part of the country and are safe to visit. The boarder area with Rwanda and democratic republic of congo remains stable and all National Parks and wildlife reserves are well protected by the wildlife Authority Rangers.Tourism is hugely important for ugandas Economy and a tourism police force has been created to protect visitors .
You are safe with and you can be rest assured that we always give you the best Uganda travel advice as well as keep you updated should you have security concerns.
- Do we require a travel Insurance?
We strongly recommend that you take out all necessary travel insurance before commencing on your journey , however we can assist with the local insurance company to cover Health , Baggage and any other insurance related issues.
- Can I use my ATM card and credit card in Uganda?
Only a few banks accept ATM cards for money withdrawals in Uganda .while you can withdraw a limited amount of cash per day from ATM machines in kampala .there are very few opportunities to withdraw cash once you are on safari in Uganda. credit cards can be used only in major hotels and lodges plus forex bureaus.
- How safe is it for homosexuals to visit Uganda?
Uganda is a safe country for gay and lesbian Travellers , however it is a conservative country and we do recommend discretion.
- How much does a gorilla permit in Uganda and Rwanda cost?
If you are interested in a mountain gorilla safari in Uganda, you are required to buy a permit at $600 in uganda and $1500 in Rwanda well in advance of your trip.as only eight people are allowed to visit each gorilla family per day .the demand is very high . Exceptional Uganda Safaris is happy to book your gorilla permits and organize your gorilla safari .to buy your gorilla permit you will need to provide us with your full names ,nationality and passport number also preferred date of trekking with a gorilla permit fee.
- What is the right age for gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda?
15 years , A certain level of fitness is required for the gorilla tracking and you may not be required to track if you fall sick.
- What are the rules and regulations for gorilla trekking?
Before you depart for trekking the National parks administration will call for an early morning meeting since more than 8 visitors would disturb the gorillas.The participants will be divided in into groups ,besides you receive important introductions and rules like this;
A maximum number of 8 visitors may visit a group of habituated gorillas in a day ,to minimize behavioural disturbances to the gorillas and the risk of their exposure to human bone diseases.
- Do not leave rubbish in the park , whatever you you bring into the forest should be carried back with you.
- Take pictures as much a you want but do not use flash as this disturbs the gorillas .choose appropriate photo equipment as it is dark in the forest.
- Move quietly and avoid noises as well as sudden movements.
- Stay with the group and sit or kneel up , try to keep a minimum distance of up to 7 metres to the animals .
- While viewing gorillas , smoking or feeding the animals is not permitted.
- Please do not respond on touches by the gorillas but move slowly backwards.
- Incase of any problems with the silverback attacks strictly follow the rangers instructions.
- What are some of the provisions needed for gorilla trekking/
- Passport(for registration before trekking)
- Warm jacket for cool early morning
- Rain gear in case it rains because the park is a tropical rain forest.
- Long trouser and long armed shirt
- Thin grooves
- Strong sun protection
- Mosquito repellant
- At least 2 litres of water
- Tip for the ranger guide
- Porter fee if necessary (about $15)
- How much does a chimp permit cost?
They cost differently according to where the trekking is going to be done .Kibale National Park is popular for chimp trekking and a permit there costs $150 ,in kyambura located in queen Elizabeth National Park a permit costs $50 and in Kaniyo pabidi a permit costs $60 .trekking can be done either morning or afternoon.quotes are included in our tour quotes.
- What is the right age for chimp trekking in Uganda?
The minimum age is 12 years .some national parks like kibale national park have children activities for children below the age of 12 years to keep them busy as their parents go for chimp trekking .A team of well trained and experienced Ranger guides teach them about the ecosystem and its inhabitants through interesting walks, games and creative activities.
- What is the best time of the year to travel in Uganda?
Officially Uganda’s dry seasons are from December /January through mid March and from june through September .the dry are the most popular with tourists with july, August ,Christmas and the new year being the peak seasons .Uganda has an equatorial climate ,with dry daily temperatures varying between 20c and 27c and a minimum average temperature of 18c though the temperatures dip to 13c .the highest temperatures are usually in the north of the country while the lowest occur on the peaks of mointain Rwenzori .most parts of Uganda receive an average rainfall of between 1000mm and 2000mm with the north having some areas with the average rainfall as low as 750mm.
- How are the accomodations like in Uganda?
Safari accomodations in Uganda fall into three categories .budget , midrange or luxury.
Budget are simple and basic rooms , bandas or tents with double /twin beds and mosquito nets when necessary. Private bathrooms are not always available. Some lodges use solar power , since some areas do not have electricity and are located in the game parks with eco friendly toilets.
3 star, 4 star and 5 star accommodation offer comfortable rooms or luxury furnished safari tents with a private bathroom .flush toilets and hot or cold running water are available.mosquito nets can be provided when when necessary .
The majority of safari lodges and hotels are small scale , offering a unique location ambience and usually have a maximum of 8 rooms.
- Can I book my safari with Exceptional Uganda Safaris
Single travelers are very welcome .however to minimize your costs we would suggest joining a group .although we can try to arrange this for you .we can guarantee we can find a group whose interests ,budget and preferred route correspond to yours.especially during low season .if you would like to stay in asingle room please notify us well in advance and we try to meet your request.please bear in mind that single rooms are there but not so common and it is more likely that you will be offered single occupancy of a double room .a single room supplement will apply.
- How many people are in your group safari?
We offer tailor made safaris for any number of participants .we can offer fixed departures with a minimum of 4 pax .the larger the group the more attractive the price will be.
- What is included in the price of my Uganda or Rwanda safari?
- Overnight stays and meals in the lodges on preferred meal plan by either bed and breakfast (BB) Half board(HB) of full board(FB) in cases where hot lunches are not provided ,clients shall have packed lunch .
- A professional and experienced English or German guide
- Transportation in 4*4 vehicle with pop up roof
- Fuel on the entire safari
- All activities as indicated in the programme with exceptional of as optional listed activities
- All entrance fees and game drive fees
- All relevant government tax
- Mineral water while on safari
- What is excluded in the price?
- Flight to Uganda and back home
- Visa fees $50 per person per entry into Uganda
- Tips ,souvenirs any other soft drinks and any personal purchases
- Personal insurance
- Any optional activities or those not included in the programme.
- What vehicles does Exceptional Uganda Safaris use for safaris?
We provide open roofed 4 wheel drive safari vehicles for all our tours .our comfortable land cruisers seat two to six people .all vehicles have a pop up roof for game viewing .we also use 4WD Toyota mini vans which take a minimum of 9 people .
To ensure that everybody has a window seat to Enjoy the best views of Uganda we usually limit the number to 7 people in the 4WD safari vans .limiting the number of people to 7 per vehicle means plenty of legroom and luggage store .
The challenging condition of the roads means that safari vehicles are well serviced by our mechanics after every trip .for larger groups we run those in 4*4.
- Cancellation policy
You can cancel your tour at any time prior to departure .the date of receipt is the decisive factor for our cancellation policy.kindly in written form.for cancellation of the travel contract prior to departure as well as any case of non participation on tour.the following cancellation charges are asserted .
- 40 days prior to departure 15% of total amount.
- 39 to 22 days prior to departure 30% of total amount.
- 21 to 15 days to departure 60% of total amount.
- 14 to 6 days prior to departure 80% of total amount
- 5 to 0 days prior to departure 100% of total amount.
- Is it possible for me to book your tours with your partners abroad
Yes its possible .booking with a foreign Travel agent or tour operator gives many gueests a peace of mind while we do our best to cater for our guest’s requests and preference .we also work with the best tour operators and travel agents around the world providing authentic personalized services.
- Is a master card accepted in Uganda?
A handful of places in Uganda accept master card .in addition to cash we suggest you bring a visa debt card.
- How can I pay for my safari?
Once you have confirmed the final itinery with us. you will be asked to pay a deposit of 15% of the total amount. Gorilla permits must be paid in full at the time of booking. Note that availability of accomodations and permits is not guaranteed until officially confirmed by Excellent Uganda Safaris Limited.
Accomodation , permit and activity reservation will be made as soon as payment has been received on our account. For your convenience the balance payment of 85% should be settled 30 days before the start of your safari .we accept payment by cash and our bank transfer in either in dollars or in Euros to our bank. please Note that bank charges are at the expense of the client.
- How much should I tip in Uganda ?
It depends entirely on your level of appreciation and satisfaction .but even a small tip to show gratitude will be highly appreciated.